Posted in MARIAN TITLES, MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY

Notre-Dame -de- lure / Our Lady of Lure, Avignon, France (1110) and Memorials of the Saints – 12 July

Notre-Dame -de- lure / Our Lady of Lure, Avignon, France (1110) – 12 July:

At the beginning of the 6th century, a Priest from Orleans, France, named Saint Donat du Val, in search of solitude, made his way into the Alps. The mountain of Lure seemed to be the kind of place he was looking for and with the approval of the Bishop of Sisteron, he settled there.
On the side of the mountain he built an oratory for which he himself made the Statue of Our Lady, carving it from native stone. When after 32 years he died, having spent these years in penance and apostolic work, he was replaced by the Benedictines of Val-Benoit.
A Chapel was built to replace the oratory which proved too small to accommodate the many pilgrims. When the Saracens invaded Provence, the religious had to flee and so they hid the Statue. Barbarians ravaged the country several times and the Convent was destroyed.
In 1110, the Countess Adelaide, to whom the land of Lure belonged, gave the place of the original oratory to the Bishop of Sisteron. Several nobles aided in the work of restoring the Monastery of Our Lady of Lure. The ancient sSatue was found and placed above the tomb of Saint Donat. The Church became well known and pilgrimages were well attended. In 1318, Pope John XXII attached the Shrine of Our Lady of Lure, to the metropolitan area or See of Avignon. In 1481, Pope Sixtus IV called back to Avignon the 12 canons at the Shrine. The Church fell into disrepair. For 80 years the place remained desolate. One day a shepherd, who was resting near the ruins, heard a voice saying, “Oh, how many graces I would give to men in this place, if my Sanctuary were rebuilt.”
The ecclesiastics to whom he told his story took the shepherd seriously. The Shrine was rebuilt and the Statue rescued from the debris, was placed on a new Altar which was Consecrated in 1637. Pilgrimages again flourished. During the French Revolution the Chapel was pillaged and the Statue mutilated.
With the return of peace, pilgrims again came. On a number of occasions, Mary granted the miracle of an abundant rain to pilgrims that had come to seek this favour. The largest number of pilgrims were wont to come on Pentecost, the Feast of the Assumption and the Nativity of Our Lord.

St Agnes De
St Andreas the Soldier
St Ansbald of Prum
St Balay
St Clement Ignatius Delgado Cebrian
St Colmán of Cloyne (c 522-600) Priest, Monk
Bl David Gonson
St Epiphana
St Faustus the Soldier
St Felix of Milan
St Fortunatus of Aquileia (1st Century – Died c 66) Deacon
St Hermagorus of Aquileia (1st Century – Died c 66) Bishop, Disciple of St Mark the Evangelist
St Hilarion of Ancyra
St Jason of Tarsus
Bl Jeanne-Marie de Romillon

St John Gualbert (c 985-1073) Abbot, Founder of the Vallumbrosan Order and many Monasteries. “The Merciful Knight.”
His Life:

https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-john-gualbert-c-985-1073-the-merciful-knight/

St John Jones OFM (c 1574 – 1598) Priest and Martyr, Franciscan Friar, Missionary.
His Life and Death:

https://anastpaul.com/2020/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-saint-john-jones-ofm-c-1574-1598-priest-and-martyr/
St John the Georgian
Bl Lambert of Cîteaux

St Louis Martin (18231894) Parents of St Thérèse of the Child Jesus/of Lisieux (1873-1897.
St Marie-Azélie Guérin / ZELIE Martin (1831 –1877)
Biography:

https://anastpaul.com/2018/07/12/saints-of-the-day-sts-louis-zelie-martin-parents-of-st-therese-of-the-child-jesus-of-lisieux-1873-1897-doctor-of-the-church/

Bl Madeleine-Thérèse Talieu
Bl Marguerite-Eléonore de Justamond
Bl Marie Cluse
St Menas the Soldier
St Menulphus of Quimper
St Nabor of Milan
St Paternian of Bologna
St Paulinus of Antioch
St Phêrô Khan
St Proclus of Ancyra
St Proculus of Bologna
St Uguzo of Carvagna
St Ultán

St Veronica – The woman who who wiped the Face of Jesus on the way to His Crucifixion. The cloth is believed to exist today in the Vatican and is considered one of the most treasured relics of the Church.
St Veronicay:

https://anastpaul.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-veonica/

St Viventiolus of Lyons

Martyrs of Nagasaki – 8 beati: Additional Memorial – 10 September as one of the 205 Martyrs of Japan
Eight lay people, many them related to each other, who were martyred together:
• Catharina Tanaka
• Ioannes Onizuka Naizen
• Ioannes Tanaka
• Ludovicus Onizuka
• Matthias Araki Hyozaemon
• Monica Onizuka
• Petrus Araki Chobyoe
• Susanna Chobyoe
12 July 1626 in Nagasaki, Japan
Beatified on 7 May 1867 by Pope Blessed Pius IX.

Posted in FRANCISCAN OFM, MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY

Saint of the Day – 12 July – Saint John Jones OFM (c 1574 – 1598) Priest and Martyr

Saint of the Day – 12 July – Saint John Jones OFM (c 1574 – 1598) Priest and Martyr, Franciscan Friar, Missionary – Born as Griffith Jones c 1574 in Clynog-Fawr, Carnarvonshire, Wales and died by being hanged, drawn and quartered in the early morning of 12 July 1598 at London, England.   He is one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales who are celebrated on 25 October.st john jones martyr

His real name was Griffith Jones but he was variously known as John Jones, John Buckley, John Griffith or Godfrey Maurice Jones.   He was born in the ancient parish of Clynnog into a staunch and recusant Welsh Catholic family who stayed true to their faith after the Protestant Reformation.

He entered the Observant Franciscan Convent at Greenwich as a youth. On the accession of Queen Elizabeth in 1558, Catholicism was banned so he went to the Continent and was Ordained at the Franciscan Monastery at Pontoise, France.   He studied at the English College at Douai.   After his Ordination at Rheims in 1585 he returned to the English mission but was captured and imprisoned in Wisbech Castle. He either escaped or was released and about 1592 made his profession as a Franciscan at the Convent of Ara Coeli in Rome, taking the name Godfrey.

His ‘Mission to England’ was approved by Pope Clement VIII and he returned in 1592, fully aware of the gruesome punishments inflicted on Catholic priests.

After two years he was arrested in Staffordshire.   In 1596 the priest-catcher Topcliffe had been informed by a spy that John Jones had visited two Catholics and said Mass in their house but it was afterwards shown that these people were in prison when the alleged offence took place.   However, he was promptly arrested and severely tortured.   He was also cruelly scourged and Topcliffe took him to his house and practised unspeakable barbarities upon him, all of which he endured with great fortitude.   He was then imprisoned for nearly two years in the Marshalsea Prison and on 3 July 1598, was tried on the charge of “going over the seas in the first year of Her Majesty’s reign (1558) and there being made a priest by the authority from Rome and then returning to England contrary to statute” (27 Eliz. c. 2) and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

He was executed on 12 July 1598, some two miles outside of London.  By this time, the people had grown tired of these hateful spectacles and as the authorities were keen to avoid a riot, the execution was arranged for the early morning.   Despite this, a large crowd gathered. The executioner, called untimely from his bed, forgot his ropes.  During the delay while he went for them, the condemned man preached to the crowd and explained he was being martyred for his faith, not for disloyalty to his country.   The place was St Thomas’s Watering, in what is now the Old Kent Road, at the site of the junction of the old Roman road to London with the main line of Watling Street.

st john jones and john wall
Sts John Jones and St John Wall – Martyrs

The usual atrocities were carried out;  his dismembered remains were fixed on the poles on the roads to Newington and Lambeth (now represented by Tabard Street and Lambeth Road respectively);  some were removed by young Catholics, one of whom suffered long imprisonment for this.   One of these relics eventually reached the Monastery of Pontoise, where the Martyr had been ordained.

He was declared Venerable by Pope Leo XIII, Beatified in 1929 by Pope Pius XI and Canonised on 25 October 1970 by Pope Paul VI.

Posted in MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY, Uncategorized

The Fifteenth Sunday of the Year in Ordinary Time, Year A +2020 and Memorials of the Saints – 12 July

The Fifteenth Sunday of the Year in Ordinary Time, Year A +2020
__
St Agnes De
St Andreas the Soldier
St Ansbald of Prum
St Balay
St Clement Ignatius Delgado Cebrian
Bl David Gonson
St Epiphana
St Faustus the Soldier
St Felix of Milan
St Fortunatus of Aquileia
St Hermagorus of Aquileia
St Hilarion of Ancyra
St Jason of Tarsus
Bl Jeanne-Marie de Romillon
St John Gualbert (c 985-1073)
His Life:
https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-john-gualbert-c-985-1073-the-merciful-knight/
St John Jones OFM (c 1574 – 1598) Priest and Martyr

St John the Georgian
Bl Lambert of Cîteaux

St Louis Martin (18231894)
St Marie-Azélie Guérin / ZELIE Martin (1831 –1877)
Biography:
https://anastpaul.com/2018/07/12/saints-of-the-day-sts-louis-zelie-martin-parents-of-st-therese-of-the-child-jesus-of-lisieux-1873-1897-doctor-of-the-church/

Bl Madeleine-Thérèse Talieu
Bl Marguerite-Eléonore de Justamond
Bl Marie Cluse
St Menas the Soldier
St Menulphus of Quimper
St Nabor of Milan
St Paternian of Bologna
St Paulinus of Antioch
St Phêrô Khan
St Proclus of Ancyra
St Proculus of Bologna
St Uguzo of Carvagna
St Veronica
St Veronica’s Story:
https://anastpaul.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-veonica/

St Viventiolus of Lyons

Martyrs of Nagasaki – 8 beati: Additional Memorial – 10 September as one of the 205 Martyrs of Japan
Eight lay people, many them related to each other, who were martyred together:
• Catharina Tanaka
• Ioannes Onizuka Naizen
• Ioannes Tanaka
• Ludovicus Onizuka
• Matthias Araki Hyozaemon
• Monica Onizuka
• Petrus Araki Chobyoe
• Susanna Chobyoe
12 July 1626 in Nagasaki, Japan
Beatified on 7 May 1867 by Pope Blessed Pius IX.