Saint Louis-Marie de Montfort’s Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary
Day 34 – Day of Consecration
On the day of consecration, either fast, give alms, or offer a votive candle for the good of another (or all of the above); do some spiritual penance and approach consecration in the spirit of mortification.
Now go to Confession (or, if that is not possible, go during the 8 days prior) and then receive Communion with the intention of giving yourself to Jesus, as a slave of love, by the hands of Mary.
Now pray the words of the consecration. Copy them and have them with you at church, read them after the Mass (in front of the tabernacle would be nice) and sign your copy of the Act of Consecration.
The words of consecration are:
O Eternal and incarnate Wisdom! O sweetest and most adorable Jes us! True God and true man, only Son of the Eternal Father and of Mary, always virgin! I adore Thee profoundly in the bosom and splendours of Your Father during eternity and I adore You also in the virginal bosom of Mary, Your most worthy Mother, in the time of Your incarnation.
I give You thanks for that You have annihilated Yourself, taking the form of a slave in order to rescue me from the cruel slavery of the devil. I praise and glorify You for that You have been pleased to submit Yourself to Mary, Your holy Mother, in all things, in order to make me Your faithful slave through her. But, alas! Ungrateful and faithless as I have been, I have not kept the promises which I made so solemnly to You in my Baptism; I have not fulfilled my obligations; I do not deserve to be called Your child, nor yet Your slave and as there is nothing in me which does not merit Your anger and Your repulse, I dare not come by myself before Your most holy and august Majesty. It is on this account that I have recourse to the intercession of Your most holy Mother, whom You have given me for a mediatrix with You. It is through her that I hope to obtain of Your contrition, the pardon of my sins and the acquisition and preservation of wisdom.
Hail, then, O immaculate Mary, living tabernacle of the Divinity, where the Eternal Wisdom willed to be hidden and to be adored by angels and by men! Hail, O Queen of Heaven and earth, to whose empire everything is subject which is under God. Hail, O sure refuge of sinners, whose mercy fails no one. Hear the desires which I have of the Divine Wisdom and for that end, receive the vows and offerings which in my lowliness I present to you.
I, N_____, a faithless sinner, renew and ratify today in your hands the vows of my Baptism, I renounce forever Satan, his pomps and works and I give myself entirely to Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Wisdom, to carry my cross after Him all the days of my life and to be more faithful to Him than I have ever been before. In the presence of all the heavenly court, I choose you this day for my Mother and Mistress. I deliver and consecrate you, as your slave, my body and soul, my goods, both interior and exterior and even the value of all my good actions, past, present and future, leaving to you the entire and full right of disposing of me and all that belongs to me, without exception, according to your good pleasure, for the greater glory of God in time and in eternity.
Receive, O holy Virgin, this little offering of my service, in honour of and in union with, that subjection which the Eternal Wisdom deigned to have to your maternity, in homage to the power which both of you have over this poor sinner and in thanksgiving for the privileges with which the Holy Trinity has favoured you. I declare that I wish henceforth, as your true slave, to seek your honour and to obey you in all things.
O admirable Mother, present me to thy dear Son as His eternal slave, so that as He has redeemed me by you, by you He may receive me! O Mother of mercy, grant me the grace to obtain the true Wisdom of God and for that end, receive me among those whom you love and teach whom you lead, nourish and protect as your children and your slaves.
O faithful Virgin, make me in all things so perfect a disciple, imitator and slave of the Incarnate Wisdom, Jesus Christ your Son, that I may attain, by your intercession and by your example, to the fullness of His age on earth and of His glory in Heaven. Amen.
Sign your name here
Once you have consecrated yourself to Jesus through Mary, live that consecration. St. Louis-Marie de Montfort recommended the following:
• Keep praying to develop a “great contempt” for the spirit of this world.
• Maintain a special devotion to the Mystery of the Incarnation (e.g., through meditation; spiritual reading; focusing on Feasts centring around the Incarnation, such as the Annunciation and the Nativity, etc.)
• Frequently recite the Ave Maria, Rosary and the Magnificat.
• Do everything through, with, in and for Mary for the sake of Jesus, with the prayer, “I am all yours Immaculate One, with all that I have, in time and in eternity” in your heart and on your lips.
• Associate yourself with Mary in a special way before, during and after Communion.
• Wear a little iron chain (around the neck, arm, waist, or ankle) as an outward sign and reminder of holy service. This practice is optional, but very recommended by St Louis. The appearance of this chain is not further specified.
• Renew the consecration once a year on the same date chosen above and by following the same 33-day period of exercises. If desired, also renew the consecration monthly with the prayer, “I am all Yours and all I have is Yours, O dear Jesus, through Mary, Your holy Mother.”
• Optional: Join the Confraternity of Mary, Queen of All Hearts – http://queenofallhearts.com/
for Enrolment: http://queenofallhearts.com/enrollment/