Posted in DOCTORS of the Church, MARIAN TITLES, MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY, YouTube VIDEOS

Notre-Dame-de-Verdun / Our Lady of Verdun, Lorraine , France (5th Century) and Memorials of the Saints – 21 July

Notre-Dame-de-Verdun / Our Lady of Verdun, Lorraine , France (5th Century) – 21 July:

The present Cathedral of Notre-Dame-de -erdun is both a Cathedral and a national monument of France. It has a long and ancient history.
It was in about the year 330 when Saint Sanctinus, a disciple of Saint Denis, converted the City of Verdun to the True Faith and later ,made it an Episcopal City when he became its first Bishop. He built a Church there in honour of Saints Peter and Paul.
In the year 457 Saint Pulchrone, built the first Church located at the site where Our Lady of Verdun is presently located. The fifth Bishop of Verdun, Saint Pulchrone, built the Church inside the walls of the City on ancient Roman ruins. This Church was actually named to honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary as Mother of God, a title that had recently been confirmed at the Councils of Ephesus and Chalcedon. It was at the Council of Ephesus in 431 that Mary was formally affirmed to be Theotokos, “God-bearer,” or “the one who gives birth to God.” At Chalcedon, the nature of Christ was formally defined, teaching that He was God and man, “one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, known in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation.” With this definition Mary was shown to be the Mother of God and not just of Our Lord in His human nature. The Church and Our Lady of Verdun was celebrated for numerous miracles.
In the year 990, Bishop Heimon built a new Cathedral to Our Lady of Verdun, and in the 12th century a choir and two portals were added. In 997, the Emperor Otto III conferred on this Bishop Heimon, or Haymon, the title of Count, making him and his successors Episcopal Counts.
The Cathedral was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In the 14th century the flat wooden ceiling was replaced with a vaulted ceiling and side-Chapels were added to the nave. Another side Chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of the Assumption, was built in the 16th century. In 1755 the roof and towers were hit by lightning, which set them both on fire, which did significant damage to the Church. In 1760 the Church was repaired and rebuilt in the Neo-Classical style.

The Cathedral was once again severely damaged in World War I, as it was hit by artillery rounds in the Battle of Verdun, which destroyed the towers. The crypt was rediscovered during the renovation that went on until the year 1936 and a re-inauguration took place in 1935. The millennial celebration of the Cathedral took place in 1990.
The Arbennes family were the Counts of Verdun, and Godfrey of Bouillon was a member of that family. Godfrey gave up his right to the title before leaving on the First Crusade.

St Lawrence of Brindisi OFM Cap (1559-1619) Doctor of the Church (Optional Memorial)
St Lawrence is known as the “Franciscan Renaissance Man” – he was a Religious member of the Franciscan Friars Minor Capuchin, a Priest, Theologian, Vicar General of the Franciscans, Language scholar, Apologist of immense and calm resources, Humanist, Philosopher, Biblicist, Preacher, Missionary, Professor, International Administrator, Confidant of Popes, Emperors, Kings and Princes, Diplomatic envoy, Army Chaplain, Military Strategist and Morale builder, Polemicist, Prolific writer.
Biography:

https://anastpaul.com/2018/07/21/saint-of-the-day-21-july-st-lawrence-of-brindisi-ofm-cap-1559-1619-doctor-of-the-church-the-franciscan-renaissance-man/

Bl Agrícola Rodríguez García de Los Huertos
St Alberic Crescitelli

Blessed Angelina of Marsciano TOR (1357-1435) – Abbess, Foundress of the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina who work with the poor and the sic
Her Lifestory:

https://anastpaul.com/2020/07/21/saint-of-the-day-21-july-blessed-angelina-of-marsciano-tor-1357-1435/

St Arbogast of Strasbourg (Died c 678) Bishop
St Barhadbescialas
St Benignus of Moyenmoutier
Bl Claudius of Avignon
St Claudius of Troyes
St Corona of Marceille
Bl Cristóbal López de Valladolid Orea
Bl Daniel Molini
St Daniel the Prophet
St Eleutherius of Marseille
St Eternus of Evreaux
Bl Gabriel Pergaud
St Iosephus Wang Yumei
St John of Edessa
St John of Moyenmoutier
Bl Juan de Las Varillas
Bl Juan de Zambrana
St Jucundinus of Troyes
St Julia of Troyes
St Justus of Troyes
Bl Parthenius of Thessaly
St Praxides of Rome
St Simeon Salus

St Victor (of Marseilles) (3rd century) Martyr, Confessor, Roman soldier.
His Story:

https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/21/saint-of-the-day-21-july-st-victor-3rd-century-martyr/

St Wastrada
St Zoticus of Comana

Martyrs of Africa – 6 saints: Six Christians who were martyred together. We know no other details about them but the names – Emilian, Hugal, Motanus, Saphus, Stercorius and Victor. They were martyred in an unknown location in Africa, date unknown.

Posted in FRANCISCAN OFM, SAINT of the DAY

Saint of the Day – 21 July – Blessed Angelina of Marsciano TOR (1357-1435)

Saint of the Day – 21 July – Blessed Angelina of Marsciano TOR (1357-1435) – Foundress and Abbess, childless, Widow, Apostle of the poor, sick and children – also known as Angelina of Montegiove or of Corbara. Born in 1357 in Montegiove, Umbria, Italy and died on 14 July 1435 in Foligno, Umbria.    Patronage – the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina.

She founded a Congregation of Religious Sisters of the Franciscan Third Order Regular, known today as the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina.   She is generally credited with the founding of the Third Order Regular for women, as her religious Congregation marked the establishment of the first Franciscan community of women living under the Rule of the Third Order Regular authorised by Pope Nicholas V.   Unlike the Second Order of the Franciscan movement, the Poor Clare nuns, they were not an enclosed religious order but have been active in serving the poor around them, for much of their history.    She is commemorated by the Franciscans on 4 June.   Her liturgical feast is today though post 1969 the date was moved to 13 June.BL Angelina_corbara_marsciano SML

In 1357, Angelina was born in her ancestral Castle of Montegiove, some 40 kilometers from Orvieto, in Umbria, then part of the Papal States. She was the daughter of Jacopo Angioballi, the Count of Marsciano and of Anna, the daughter of the Count of Corbara, which is why sometimes she is also referred to as Angelina of Corbara.

Left orphaned and alone, except for one sister, by the age of six, she was raised by her grandparents.   Angelina was married at age 15 to Giovanni da Terni, the Count of Civitella del Tronto, in the Abruzzo region, within the Kingdom of Naples but he died only two years later, leaving her a childless widow.   His death left Angelina in charge of his castle and estate.

It was then that Angelina made the decision to dedicate her life to God (it would appear that she had considered being a nun before she was married).   She was clothed as a Franciscan tertiary and, with several companions, began an apostolic mission around the countryside of the kingdom, preaching the values of repentance and virginity, as well as service to those in need.bl angelina

Angelina’s progress was arrested by the disturbance she caused in the communities, where she called for young women to adopt religious life.   She was doubly charged with sorcery, the imagined origin of her sway over women andof heresy, because of her allegedly Manichean opposition to marriage.   Angelina defended herself before Ladislas, the King of Naples, who dismissed the charges but expelled her and her companions from the kingdom, in order to avoid further complaints.

Angelina then went to Assisi, where she stopped to rest and to pray at the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, the cradle of the Franciscan Order.   There, she experienced a vision, wherein God instructed her to found a cloistered Monastery under the Rule of the Third Order of Saint Francis in Foligno.   The local Bishop approved the plans with little hesitation, as they meant an end to her troublesome active ministry.   She settled in Foligno about 1394.   She soon joined the Monastery of St Anna, a small community of women Franciscan tertiaries, which had been founded in 1388 by the Blessed Paoluccio Trinci (died 1390), a Franciscan friar who had been related to her sister through marriage.   Known as the “Monastery of the Countesses”—due to the social standing of most of its members, he had established it out of his vision of having these noble women of the city, serve as an evangelising force in their society.   The women lived ascetic lives in the Monastery and, not being nuns, followed a very informal structure, free to come and go as they wished, that they might be able to serve the poor and sick of the region.

Angelina took a leadership role in the small group and began to organise their lives into a more regular form.   By 1397 she was considered the leader of the twelve founding members.   In 1403 she was able to obtain a Papal Bull from Pope Boniface IX which formally recognised the status of the house as a Monastery.   The reputation of the community in Foligno was so successful, that quickly communities of Franciscan tertiary women throughout the region sought to affiliate with them.   Communities under her authority were soon established in Florence, Spoleto, Assisi and Viterbo, along with eleven others, before Angelina’s death in 1435.

The diverse communities were recognised as a Congregation by Pope Martin V in 1428.   This decree also allowed them to elect a Minister General (a title since reserved for the head of the friars) who would have the right of canonical visitation of the other communities.   The Congregation held its first general elections in 1430, in which Angela was elected their first Minister General.   In this office, she developed the Statutes for the Congregation, to be followed by all its houses.

This degree of independence was not welcomed by the Friars Minor, who had been granted complete authority over the tertiaries that same year.   The Minister General of the Friars, Guglielmo da Casala, demanded that the Third Order Sisters of the Congregation be confirmed under obedience to him.   Angelina had to submit and, in a public ceremony held in the Friars’ church in Foligno on 5 November 1430, vowed obedience to the local Minister Provincial.

This act of obedience, however, was repudiated by the chapter of the community at Santa Anna, saying that it was invalid due to having been forced under duress and without their approval.   The Holy See confirmed their autonomy the following year.   To avoid the potential for future repetition of this conflict, the Congregation put themselves under the obedience of their local Bishops, with their spiritual direction to come from the Friars of the Third Order Regular of St Francis of Penance.

Angeline died on 14 July 1435 and was interred in the Church of St Francis in Foligno.   Her remains were removed to a grander shrine in 1492.   Her cultus was approved and Beatification granted on 8 March 1825 by Pope Leo XII.bl angelina oprayer card

Due to the requirement of keeping their communities small and simple, Angelina’s Congregation gained greatest popularity in the 15th and 16th centuries.   In 1428, they had been put briefly by Pope Martin V under the jurisdiction of the Friars Minor, with a specific mandate for the education and instruction of young girls.   Even so, their work was fairly apostolic until they were required to become an enclosed religious order in 1617, having taken solemn vows with a strict separation from the affairs of the external world, limited to the education of girls within the cloister.   With a 1903 lift of papal enclosure, a wider apostolate was again permitted and the Congregation became known as the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina.   As of 1750, they consisted of 11 houses and 80 members.

As of the year 2000, they have houses in Brazil, Madagascar and Switzerland, as well as in Italy.

Posted in DOCTORS of the Church, FRANCISCAN OFM, MARIAN TITLES, SAINT of the DAY

Feast of Our Lady of Kazan and Memorials of the Saints -21 July

St Lawrence of Brindisi OFM Cap (1559-1619) Doctor of the Church (Optional Memorial)
Biography:
https://anastpaul.com/2018/07/21/saint-of-the-day-21-july-st-lawrence-of-brindisi-ofm-cap-1559-1619-doctor-of-the-church-the-franciscan-renaissance-man/

Our Lady of Kazan:
This miraculous icon, also known as the Theotokos of Kazan, is thought to have originated in Constantinople in the 13th century before it was taken to Russia.   When the Turks took Kazan in 1438, the icon may have been hidden.   Ivan the Terrible liberated Kazan in 1552 and the town was destroyed by fire in 1579.
The icon was eventually found in the ruins of a burnt-out house at Kazan on the River Volga on 8 July in 1579.   According to tradition, the location of the icon was revealed during a dream by the Blessed Virgin Mary to a ten year old girl named Matrona.   Matrona told the local Bishop of her dream, but he did not believe her.   There were two more similar dreams, after which Matrona and her mother went to the place indicated by the Blessed Virgin and dug in the ruins what had been a house until the uncovered the icon.   It appeared untouched by the flames, with the colours as vivid and brilliant as if it were new.  Kazan_moscowThe Bishop took the icon to the Church of Saint Nicholas and immediately there was a miracle of a blind man’s sight being restored to him.   A Monastery was built over the place where the icon had been found.
Known as the Holy Protectress of Russia, the icon was stolen on 29 June 1904.   The thieves were later caught and claimed that they had destroyed the icon after taking the gold frame and jewels attached to the image.   In any event, the original has never been found, though there are many copies in existence, thanks to the popularity of the icon.   Many of the copies are known to be miracle working.
In 1993 a copy of the icon was given to Pope John Paul II, who kept it in his personal study before it was given to representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church in 2004.

Bl Agrícola Rodríguez García de Los Huertos
St Alberic Crescitelli
Blessed Angelina of Marsciano TOR (1357-1435) – Foundress and Abbess

St Arbogast of Strasbourg
St Barhadbescialas
St Benignus of Moyenmoutier
Bl Claudius of Avignon
St Claudius of Troyes
St Corona of Marceille
Bl Cristóbal López de Valladolid Orea
Bl Daniel Molini
St Daniel the Prophet
St Eleutherius of Marseille
St Eternus of Evreaux
Bl Gabriel Pergaud
St Iosephus Wang Yumei
St John of Edessa
St John of Moyenmoutier
Bl Juan de Las Varillas
Bl Juan de Zambrana
St Jucundinus of Troyes
St Julia of Troyes
St Justus of Troyes
Bl Parthenius of Thessaly
St Praxides of Rome
St Simeon Salus
St Victor (of Marseilles) (3rd century) Martyr
His Story:
https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/21/saint-of-the-day-21-july-st-victor-3rd-century-martyr/

St Wastrada
St Zoticus of Comana

Martyrs of Africa – 6 saints: Six Christians who were martyred together. We know no other details about them but the names – Emilian, Hugal, Motanus, Saphus, Stercorius and Victor. They were martyred in an unknown location in Africa, date unknown.