Posted in MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY

Saint of the Day – 7 November – Saint Engelbert of Cologne (c 1185-1225)

Saint of the Day – 7 November – Saint Engelbert of Cologne (c 1185-1225) Archbishop Martyr, Count,, Guardian and Chancellor of the Empire on behalf of the young King, protector of the Monasteries and religious Orders, Apostle of the poor. Born in .1185 at Berg in modern Germany and died by being stabbed to death on the evening of 7 November 1225 near Schwelm, Germany, by a member of his own family.. Also known as – Engelbert of Berg.

Engelbert, was born in Berg around the year 1185 to Engelbert, Count of Berg and Margaret, daughter of the Count of Gelderland. He studied at the Cathedral school of Cologne and, while still a boy, was made administrator of the Churches of St George and St Severin at Cologne and of St Mary’s at Aachen, as it was a common in the Church at the time, to appoint the children of nobles to such positions.

In 1199, he was elected administrator of the Cathedral at Cologne. He led a worldly life and in the conflict between two Archbishops, Adolf and Bruno, he sided with his cousin Adolf and waged war for him. Consequently, he was excommunicated by the Pope along with his cousin. After his submission, he was reinstated in 1208 and, to atone for his sin, joined the Crusade against the Albigenses in 1212. On 29 February 1216, the chapter of the Cathedral elected him Archbishop by a unanimous vote.

The mendicant orders of the Franciscans and the Dominicans, settled in his realm while he was Archbishop. He was well disposed towards the Monasteries and insisted on strict religious observance in them. Ecclesiastical affairs were regulated in provincial synods. He was considered a friend of the clergy and a helper of the poor.

Engelbert exerted a strong influence in the affairs of the Empire. Emperor Frederick II, who had taken up his residence permanently in Sicily, gave Germany to his son, Henry VII, then still a minor and in 1221 appointed Engelbert Guardian of the King and administrator of the Empire. When the young King reached the age of twelve, he was crowned at Aachen by Engelbert, who loved him as his own son and honoured him as his sovereign. Engelbert watched over the young King’s education and governed the Empire in his name, careful to secure peace, both within and without of the realm.

Engelbert’s devotion to duty, and his obedience to the Pope and to the Emperor, were eventually the cause of his ruin. Many of the nobility feared, rather than loved him and he was obliged to surround himself with bodyguards. The greatest danger came from his relatives who were jealous of his position.

His cousin, Count Frederick of Isenberg, the secular administrator for the Nuns of Essen, had grievously oppressed that Abbey. Pope Honorius III and the Emperor, urged Engelbert to protect the Nuns and their rights. Frederick wished to forestall the Archbishop and his wife incited him to murder. On 7 November 1225, as he was journeying from Soest to Schwelm to Consecrate a Church, Engelbert was attacked on a dark evening by Frederick and his associates, was wounded in the thigh, torn from his horse and killed. His body was covered with forty-seven wounds. It was placed on a dung-cart and brought to Cologne four days later. King Henry wept bitterly over the remains, put Frederick under the ban of the Empire and saw him broken on the wheel a year later at Cologne. Frederick died contrite, having acknowledged and confessed his guilt.

Engelbert’s body was placed in the old Cathedral of Cologne on 24 February 1226, by Cardinal Conrad von Urach, the Papal Legate. The latter also declared him a Martyr, although a formal canonisation did not take place. In the Martyrology, Engelbert is commemorated on 7 November as a Martyr. and Saint. A Convent for Nuns was erected at the place of his death.

“True Guardian of the King,
thy exalted traits do honour
to our Emperor;
Chancellor whose like
has never been.
” – Walther von der Vogelweide, Poet, writing about Engelbert


Twenty Fourth Sunday after Pentecost, The Feast of All Saints of the Order of Preachers, Onze Liewe Vrou van Scherpenheuvel / Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem, Belgium (17th Century) and Memorials of the Saints – 7 November

Twenty Fourth Sunday after Pentecost
Thirty Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

The Feast of All Saints of the Order of Preachers: “Fountain of all holiness, you stirred up in our holy brothers and sisters an extraordinary love of truth, conformity to Christ crucified, and a thirst for the salvation of souls: may we imitate them in offering you thanks on account of the way of life they gave us.” — From the Intercessions at Lauds for the feast of All Saints of the Order of Preachers.

Onze Liewe Vrou van Scherpenheuvel / Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel
Scherpenheuvel-Zichem, Belgium (17th Century)
– Commemorated on the First Sunday after the Feast of All Saints

For many years the Marian cult on the Scherpenheuvel (“Sharp Hill”) centred at an oak tree on top of the hill. According to the foundation legend, a shepherd noticed that the image had fallen to the ground and decided to take it home. When he had lifted it, he discovered he was unable to move. As the herd did not return in the evening, his master became concerned and went to look for the shepherd. Only by restoring the Statue to its original place in the oak tree, could the master release the shepherd, thereby discovering the spiritual importance of the site.
The inhabitants of the nearby Town of Zichem would frequent the site in the second half of the sixteenth century whenever they were in need of the intercession of the Blessed Mother.
After an official enquiry in 1604 Mathias Hovius, Archbishop of Mechelen, approved the cult of Scherpenheuvel . The approval was accompanied by the publication of a collection of miracles ascribed to the intercession of the Virgin of Scherpenheuvel, issued in Dutch, French and Spanish. An English translation followed in 1606. Philip Numan, who had authored the collection, produced two more editions (1605 and 1606) as well as three more collections (1613-1614, 1617 and 1617-1618) in short succession. Latin versions were later published too. According to these publications, close to 700 miracles were credited to the intercession of Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel, in the course of the seventeenth century. The Latin collections, in particular, caused a lot of controversy among theologians, with Calvinist authors ridiculing the whole idea of miraculous intercession by the Saints.
Meanwhile, it had been decided in 1602, to remove the Statue from the oak tree and house it in a small wooden Chapel nearby. Within the year, the Chapel proved too small and was replaced by a modest stone edifice. Its foundation stone was laid on 13 July 1603 by Count Frederik van den Bergh on behalf of the Archdukes Albert and Isabella. From that point on, the Archdukes showed great interest in the development of the Shrine. Attributing the recent relief of the besieged Town of ‘s-Hertogenbosch to the intercession of the Virgin, Albert and Isabella made their first pilgrimage to Scherpenheuvel on 20 November 1603. It would soon become a yearly pilgrimage that took place in May or June and lasted the nine days of a novena.

Under the patronage of the Archdukes, the emerging Shrine was raised to the status of a Town in 1605 and of an independent Parish in 1610. Their support helped to ensure the grant of a Papal Indulgence on 16 September 1606, the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. Shortly after reaching a cease-fire with the United Provinces, on 28 August 1607, Albert and Isabella announced that they would build a vast Church and surround it with a planned and fortified Town. The foundation stone of the third and present Church was laid by them in person, on 2 July 1609, the Feast of the Visitation.

The iconographical decoration of the Basilica is particularly rich. The recurrent use of the number seven (in the shape of the Church and the Town, the number of Altars outside and inside, the shape of the stars on the dome) recalls the cult of the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin.
The image of Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel was solemnly crowned by Cardinal Victor-Auguste-Isidor Deschamps on behalf of the Blessed Pope Pius IX on 25 August 1872.
Fifty years later, on 2 May 1922, Pope Pius XI raised the Shrine to the status of a Minor Basilica.
On 2 February 2011, Pope Benedict XVI dedicated that year’s Golden Rose to the Basilica. It was ceremoniously presented by the Papal Nuncio Monsigneur Giacinto Berloco on 15 May 2011 with grand Pontifical ceremony.
The pilgrimage season runs from 1 May to the first week of November. In 2010 almost 1200 groups of pilgrims visited the Shrine, with parties travelling from as far as Soest in the Netherlands and Fulda in Germany.

St Achillas
St Amarand
St Amaranthus

Blessed Anthony Baldinucci SJ (1665-1717) Priest of the Society of Jesus, Preacher, Writer and Missionary.
Biography here:


St Athenodorus of Neo-Caesarea
St Auctus of Amphipolis
St Baud of Tours
St Blinlivet
St Congar
St Engelbert of Cologne (c 1185-1225) Archbishop Martyr
St Ernest of Mecca
St Florentius of Strasburg
St Gebetrude of Remiremont
St Herculanus of Perugia
St Hesychius of Mytilene
St Hieron of Mytilene
St Hyacinth Castañeda Puchasons
St Lazarus the Stylite
St Nicander of Mytilene
St Peter Ou
St Prosdocimus of Padua
St Prosdocimus of Rieti
St Raverranus of Séez
St Rufus of Metz
St Taurion of Amphipolis
St Thessalonica of Amphipolis
St Tremorus of Brittany
St Vincent Liem

St Vincenzo Grossi (1845-1917) Priest and Founder of the Daughters of the Oratory, Spiritual Director, Apostle of the Holy Eucharist and of Charity, renowned Preacher
His Life:

St Willibrord (c 658 – 739) “Apostle to the Frisians,” Bishop, Missionary.

Martyred in the Spanish Civil War:
• Blessed Alfredo Fanjul Acebal
• Blessed Andrés Francisco Simón Gómez
• Blessed Isabelino Carmona Fernández
• Blessed José Delgado Pérez
• Blessed José Vega Riaño
• Blessed Juan Mendibelzúa Ocerín
• Blessed Manuel Marín Pérez
• Blessed Serviliano Riaño Herrero
• Blessed Vicente Rodríguez Fernández