Saint of the Day – 16 August – Blessed Angelo Agostini Mazzinghi O. Carm (1385-1438) was an Italian Priest and a professed member of the Carmelite order. He was a noted preacher, prior and reformer, teacher of theology and was known for his pious devotion to the Holy Eucharist, the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Carmelite Rule of Life and to the profession of the Gospel. Patronage – Preachers.
Angelo Agostini Mazzinghi was born in Florence in 1385 to Augustin Mazzinghi.
He entered the Carmelite order in 1413 and after he made his solemn profession was ordained to the priesthood. He began to teach theological studies in both Florence and Frascati (in Rome) and was also a preacher in the former. He was the first member of the reformed observance of Our Lady of the Wood and was made as the prior of several of the Carmelite houses. He launched the reform of the convent of Santa Maria delle Salve and was appointed as the convent’s Prior from 1419 until 1430 and then once again in 1437.
Mazzinghi preached a series of Lenten retreats in Florence from 1431 and was to preach his final retreat in 1436 before he retired to a Carmelite convent. On one particular occasion of preaching – according to fellow Carmelite Nicholas Calciuri – who was a witness of the miracle, roses and lilies poured from Angelo’s mouth, which two angels wove into a crown for the latter.
Angelo was known for his humble and pious demeanour as well as for his ardent devotion to both the Holy Eucharist and to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Before his death he retired to a Carmelite house where he spent the remainder of his life in contemplation and meditation. Bl Angelo died on 17 August 1438 in Florence at the age of 53. He was buried in Santa Maria del Carmine but his relics were moved to the Banacacci Chapel in 1739 and moved to the main altar in 1930 in what was the final transferral of his remains.
Pope Clement XIII approved his cultus and Beatified Blessed Angelo on 7 March 1761.
3 thoughts on “Saint of the Day – 16 August – Blessed Angelo Agostini Mazzinghi O. Carm (1385-1438)”