Devotion for June – THE MONTH OF THE MOST SACRED HEART of JESUS – Our Only Hope!
When we view this sinful world, groaning beneath the weight of a thousand crises and a thousand afflictions but, nevertheless, unrepentant, when we consider the alarming progress of neo-paganism, which is on the verge of conquering humanity (in some countries has already done so!) and when, on the other hand, we consider the lack of resolve, foresight and unity among the so-called remnant, we are understandably terrified at the grim prospects of catastrophes that this generation may be calling upon itself.
It seems, that now, we are already facing these catastrophes.
Nevertheless, since God is not only just but also merciful, we pray to the Sacred Heart, that the gates of salvation have not yet been shut against us.
A people unrelenting in its impiety has every reason to expect God’s rigour. However, He Who is infinitely merciful, does not want the death of this sinful generation but that it “be converted…and live” (Ezech.18:23).
His grace thus insistently pursues all men, inviting them to abandon their evil ways and return to the fold of the Good Shepherd.
God is charity, so the simple mention of the Most Holy Name and Sacred Heart of Jesus evokes love.
It is the infinite, limitless love that drove the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity to become man.
It is the love manifested in that supreme moment of the Last Supper when, after generously washing the feet of His apostles, He instituted the Holy Eucharist.
It is the love in that last pardon of Dismas, which enabled the dying thief to steal heaven.
Finally, it is the love manifested in the supreme gift of a Heavenly Mother for a wretched humanity!
In venerating the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Church specially praises the infinite love demonstrated by Our Lord Jesus Christ to men.
Since His Heart is the symbol of love, by venerating His Heart, the Church celebrates Love.
Among the promises made by our Lord to St Margaret Mary was the assurance that, “Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be blotted out.”
The Twelve Promises of Jesus
to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-1690)
“Apostle of the Sacred Heart
For those Devoted to His Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life
and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source of an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.
- I will bless the homes where an image of My Heart
shall be exposed and honoured.
- I will give to Priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names
written in My Heart, never to be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those
who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance – they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.
From Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque’s Vision of Jesus