Posted in SAINT of the DAY

Saint of the Day – 12 July – Saint Colmán of Cloyne (522-600)

Saint of the Day – 12 July – Saint Colmán of Cloyne (522-600) Priest, (possibly Bishop), Monk, Founder, Poet, known as the Royal Poet of Munster. Born on 15 October 522 at Munster, Ireland and died on 24 November in the year 600 (aged 78). Patronage – Diocese of Cloyne and of its Cathedral in Cóbh. Also known as Colm, Colmán of Conpriest, Colmán mac Léníne. St Colmán is also venerated on 24 November.

No hagiographical Life is known to have been written for Colmán but various aspects of his life are presented in different types of sources, such as Irish annals, genealogies and martyrologies.

Irish genealogies generally agree that Colmán had a father called Lénín. Through his father, Colmán appears to have been descended from the Rothrige, an obscure people who are known elsewhere as a subject people of the Déisi of Munster.

Colmán is remembered as the Founder of the Monastery at Cluain Uama, now Cloyne (Co. Cork, Ireland), in Munster. Cloyne appears to have been his earliest settlement. The Cathedral and round tower are situated on a limestone eminence in the midst of the valley, surrounded by rich meadows. In the rock is the cave extending in various branches underground to a great distance, from which the Town derives its name. Here it is that Colman took up his abode as a place of security and the remains of his primitive Oratory, known as Colman’s Chapel were still to be seen in 1813. Colmán also founded a Monastery, at what would become Killagha Abbey in County Kerry.

Further details of his life are not documented in writing but the connection of many places in counties Cork and Limerick with his name to this day proves the reality of his labours. The tenth-century Triads describes Cloyne as an important schoo of learning.

Colmán is credited with extraordinary poetic powers, being styled by his contemporaries ‘royal poet of Munster. Several of his Irish poems are still extant, notably a metrical panegyric on Saint Brendan.

It is unclear whether he was brought up as a Christian but what is sure ,is that he was educated and became a bard, which required a special education – (in order to reach the highest level (12 years of study were required.) As a member of the class of bard, he became attached to the Court of Cashel where he remained until about the age of 48 years. In 570 he and Saint Brendan of Clonfert were said to have settled a dispute between rivals to the throne of Cashel and Aodh Caomh was acknowledged as King – the first Christian king of Cashel. The King was installed by Saint Brendan. During the time of the coronation Colmán discovered the lost Shrine of Ailbhe of Emly. Brendan said that it was not right that the hands which had held this sacred relic should be defiled henceforth, thus it was that the son of Leinin offered himself to God. Brendan blessed him and gave him the name Colmán, which is a diminutive of Colm. The Gaelic word Colm corresponds to the Latin Columba meaning dove.

Colmán then went to the school of Saint Iarlaithe of Tuam and after his studies he is next mentioned as preaching to the heathen population in the east of County Cork. He is described as a “religious and holy presbyter, who afterwards became a famous Bishop”. The Prince of Déise, in the present County of Waterford, presented his child to Colmán for Baptism. Colmán Baptised him Declan and urged his parents to educate him well in his faith. This child became Saint Declan.

Colmán was given Churches in Erry and Killenaule (4 and 10 miles from Cashel respectively) by the King of Munster (Cashel), as well as lands in Cloyne, Co. Cork. It may well be that the lands in Cloyne (Cluain Uama, the lawn of the cave), were conquered lands and to prevent the possibility of reconquest, were given to the Church. The Cloyne estate was large and contained some of the best land in the area.

St Colmán died in 600 and his probable place of burial is Cloyne.

Posted in MARIAN TITLES, MARTYRS, SAINT of the DAY

Notre-Dame -de- lure / Our Lady of Lure, Avignon, France (1110) and Memorials of the Saints – 12 July

Notre-Dame -de- lure / Our Lady of Lure, Avignon, France (1110) – 12 July:

At the beginning of the 6th century, a Priest from Orleans, France, named Saint Donat du Val, in search of solitude, made his way into the Alps. The mountain of Lure seemed to be the kind of place he was looking for and with the approval of the Bishop of Sisteron, he settled there.
On the side of the mountain he built an oratory for which he himself made the Statue of Our Lady, carving it from native stone. When after 32 years he died, having spent these years in penance and apostolic work, he was replaced by the Benedictines of Val-Benoit.
A Chapel was built to replace the oratory which proved too small to accommodate the many pilgrims. When the Saracens invaded Provence, the religious had to flee and so they hid the Statue. Barbarians ravaged the country several times and the Convent was destroyed.
In 1110, the Countess Adelaide, to whom the land of Lure belonged, gave the place of the original oratory to the Bishop of Sisteron. Several nobles aided in the work of restoring the Monastery of Our Lady of Lure. The ancient sSatue was found and placed above the tomb of Saint Donat. The Church became well known and pilgrimages were well attended. In 1318, Pope John XXII attached the Shrine of Our Lady of Lure, to the metropolitan area or See of Avignon. In 1481, Pope Sixtus IV called back to Avignon the 12 canons at the Shrine. The Church fell into disrepair. For 80 years the place remained desolate. One day a shepherd, who was resting near the ruins, heard a voice saying, “Oh, how many graces I would give to men in this place, if my Sanctuary were rebuilt.”
The ecclesiastics to whom he told his story took the shepherd seriously. The Shrine was rebuilt and the Statue rescued from the debris, was placed on a new Altar which was Consecrated in 1637. Pilgrimages again flourished. During the French Revolution the Chapel was pillaged and the Statue mutilated.
With the return of peace, pilgrims again came. On a number of occasions, Mary granted the miracle of an abundant rain to pilgrims that had come to seek this favour. The largest number of pilgrims were wont to come on Pentecost, the Feast of the Assumption and the Nativity of Our Lord.

St Agnes De
St Andreas the Soldier
St Ansbald of Prum
St Balay
St Clement Ignatius Delgado Cebrian
St Colmán of Cloyne (c 522-600) Priest, Monk
Bl David Gonson
St Epiphana
St Faustus the Soldier
St Felix of Milan
St Fortunatus of Aquileia (1st Century – Died c 66) Deacon
St Hermagorus of Aquileia (1st Century – Died c 66) Bishop, Disciple of St Mark the Evangelist
St Hilarion of Ancyra
St Jason of Tarsus
Bl Jeanne-Marie de Romillon

St John Gualbert (c 985-1073) Abbot, Founder of the Vallumbrosan Order and many Monasteries. “The Merciful Knight.”
His Life:

https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-john-gualbert-c-985-1073-the-merciful-knight/

St John Jones OFM (c 1574 – 1598) Priest and Martyr, Franciscan Friar, Missionary.
His Life and Death:

https://anastpaul.com/2020/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-saint-john-jones-ofm-c-1574-1598-priest-and-martyr/
St John the Georgian
Bl Lambert of Cîteaux

St Louis Martin (18231894) Parents of St Thérèse of the Child Jesus/of Lisieux (1873-1897.
St Marie-Azélie Guérin / ZELIE Martin (1831 –1877)
Biography:

https://anastpaul.com/2018/07/12/saints-of-the-day-sts-louis-zelie-martin-parents-of-st-therese-of-the-child-jesus-of-lisieux-1873-1897-doctor-of-the-church/

Bl Madeleine-Thérèse Talieu
Bl Marguerite-Eléonore de Justamond
Bl Marie Cluse
St Menas the Soldier
St Menulphus of Quimper
St Nabor of Milan
St Paternian of Bologna
St Paulinus of Antioch
St Phêrô Khan
St Proclus of Ancyra
St Proculus of Bologna
St Uguzo of Carvagna
St Ultán

St Veronica – The woman who who wiped the Face of Jesus on the way to His Crucifixion. The cloth is believed to exist today in the Vatican and is considered one of the most treasured relics of the Church.
St Veronicay:

https://anastpaul.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/saint-of-the-day-12-july-st-veonica/

St Viventiolus of Lyons

Martyrs of Nagasaki – 8 beati: Additional Memorial – 10 September as one of the 205 Martyrs of Japan
Eight lay people, many them related to each other, who were martyred together:
• Catharina Tanaka
• Ioannes Onizuka Naizen
• Ioannes Tanaka
• Ludovicus Onizuka
• Matthias Araki Hyozaemon
• Monica Onizuka
• Petrus Araki Chobyoe
• Susanna Chobyoe
12 July 1626 in Nagasaki, Japan
Beatified on 7 May 1867 by Pope Blessed Pius IX.