“The Salus Populi Romani” / Our Lady of the Empress, Rome (593) – 13 March:
The Abbot Orsini wrote: “A tradition records that this image spoke to Saint Gregory the Great, in the year 593.”
Salus Populi Romani means literally health or salvation, or Protectress, of the Roman People. The title of Salus Populi Romani reverts to Emperor Constantine the Great and the Edict of Milan when, after Christians were no longer persecuted, the phrase became another of many Marian titles for the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. The icon Salus Populi Romani, or Our Lady of the Empress, is one of many images believed to have been painted by Saint Luke. When the Blessed Virgin lived with St John, after her Son had ascended into heave, she had few personal belongings but among them was a table built by Christ Himself when He was working in the carpenter shop with his foster father, the good Saint Joseph. Saint Luke, yielding to the repeated requests of pious virgins, painted a portrait of Mary using the tabletop as his canvas. As the portrait was being painted, Saint Luke listened carefully as the Queen of Heaven spoke of her Son’s life, facts that Saint Luke recorded in what became his Gospel. The image is surprisingly large, being five feet high by three and 3/4 but if one considers that a tabletop was used, then this size seems appropriate. Modern examiners admit the painting was made on a thick cedar board. The Virgin Mary holds a map in her right hand, which is an imperial symbol meant to depict the bearer as “Queen,” or in Roman times, “Empress.” The icon came to Rome from Crete in 590 when Pope Gregory the Great was the Holy Father and according to tradition, he went out upon the Tiber in his own vessel to greet the icon. Three years later, Pope Gregory I had the icon carried throughout Rome in solemn procession, as all prayed to the Mother of God for an end to the Black Plague that had been devastating the people of Rome. Pope Gregory’s predecessor, Pope Pelagius, had himself died of the same plague. When the icon of Salus Populi Romani, with the prayerful entourage following alongside the Tiber River, neared Hadrian’s Mausoleum, a choir of angels could suddenly be heard singing the joyous Resurrection hymn as Pope Saint Gregory looked up to see the heavens open. Then, just above Hadrian’s Mausoleum, an angel believed to be Saint Michael appeared. He was holding a sword of vengeance over the City and above him, the Pope saw the Blessed Virgin, seated upon a throne above the angels.
“Regina coeli, laetare, alleluia; Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia; Resurrexit sicut dixit, alleluia.”
“Queen of Heaven, rejoice, alleluia; for he whom thou didst merit to bear, alleluia; has risen as He said, alleluia; pray for us to God, alleluia.”
The scent of a heavenly perfume filled the air and without hesitation, the holy Pontiff concluded the Regina Coeli:
“Ora pro nobis Deum, alleluia! Gaude et laetare, Virgo Maria, alleluia! Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia. “Ora pro nobis Deum, alleluia.”
Pray for us to God, alleluia! Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mary, alleluia! For the Lord has truly risen, alleluia!
At that, the Pope, St Gregory, watched as Saint Michael sheathed his sword. To the great relief of the people of Rome, the Black Plague was ended, at that moment. Since the year 1613, the icon Salus Populi Romani has been kept in the Altar Sanctuary of the Cappella Paolina that was created for it, known in English as the Lady Chapel. The Basilica of Saint Mary Major, where it can be seen. St Mary Major is one of the four ancient Churches of Rome and the Marian Shrine is under the special patronage of the Popes.
St Mochoemoc St Nicephorus of Constantinople Bl Peter II of La Cava St Pientius of Poitiers St Ramirus of Leon St Roderick of Córdoba.(Died 857) Priest and Martyr St Sabinus of Egypt St Sancha of Portugal — Martyrs of Cordoba: Roderick, Salomon,
Martyrs of Nicaea: Arabia Horres Marcus Nymphora Theodora Theusitas Martyrs of Nicomedia Eufrasia Macedonius Modesta Patricia Urpasian
Saint of the Day – 13 March – St Heldrad of Novalese (died c 875) Priest and Benedictine Abbot of the Novalaise in Italy from 816 to 845, according to his first biography in prose written around 1120 by an Italian monk. He is also known as Aldradus, Eldrad, Eldrado, Eldradus, Heldradus, Heltrodus and has an additional memorial on 31 October in the Benedictine Order.
St Heldrad entered the world at Lambec, in Provence, his father was a feudal lord. The saint spent the entirety of his inheritance on building a church, erecting a hospice and helping the poor. Then he became a religious pilgrim and visited holy places in Italy, France and Spain.
During a pilgrimage to Rome, he discovered the hospice installed on Mont-Cenis. He decided to enter this monastic community and, when Father Abbot died, he was called to govern it. He did so with all the administrative qualities that were his. At the same time as he enlarged the buildings, he made grow the spiritual life of his monks and the charity towards the travellers. He also built a hospice there and helped to expand the monastery’s library.
The whole life of Saint Heldrad until his death, is depicted on the frescoes of the chapel which bears his name in the Abbey of Novalese. Heldrad spent part of his childhood in Ambel. On the side of the road at the entrance of Ambel is the Saint Heldrad cross and in the parish church we see his statue and his banner.
He governed the monastery for thirty years, imparting an additional vitality. He led his flock with wisdom and prudence, ‘his monks obeyed with gaiety of heart’. La Laus perennis goes hand in hand with charitable works, in particular those of the monks of Mont-Cenis, who rescue travelers lost in the snow. He also sent monks to found another hospice not far from the Lautaret pass, at a place called Monêtier de Briançon, currently Le Monêtier-les-Bains. (Sanctoral of the diocese of Gap and Embrun, page 22)
The Roman martyrology says: “At the monastery of Novalèse in the Susa valley, at the foot of Mont-Cenis, around 840, Saint Eldrade, abbot, who was zealous for divine worship, instituted permanent praise psalms and took care to build new churches.”
St Heldrad died on 13 March 875, ‘calm and cheerful as he lived’ (Sanctoral of the diocese of Gap and Embrun, page 22). His relics were transferred to the parish church in Novalesa, Italy in 1794. He was Beatified on 9 December 1904 by Pope Saint Pius X (cultus confirmed).
You must be logged in to post a comment.