Posted in MARIAN TITLES, SAINT of the DAY

Our Lady of Miracles, St Maur des Fosses, France (1328) and Memorials of the Saints – 12 March

Our Lady of Miracles, St Maur des Fosses, France (1328) – 12 March;

The Abbot Orsini wrote: “Our Lady of Miracles, in the cloister of Saint Maur des Fosses, near Paris. It is said that this image was found made, when the sculptor, named Rumold, was going to work at it in 1328.”

Saint-Maur-des-Fosses is a city that may be considered to be a suburb of Paris, France. There is a miraculous Statue of the Blessed Virgin, Our Lady of Miracles, located in the Church of Saint Nicholas in the city. The Town owes its name to an Abbey that was founded by Queen Nanthild in the year 638 at Les Fosses, which means ‘the moats’ in French. The Abbey was called Sanctus Petrus Fossatensis and was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as saints Peter and Paul. When the Monks of the Abbey of Saint-Maur de Glanfeuil in western France fled from the Vikings in the year 868, Holy Roman Emperor, King Charles the Bald, asked them to settle at Sanctus Petrus Fossatensis. They did so, bringing with them their relic of Saint Maurus and introducing the rule of Saint Benedict to France in the 6th century.
The Abbey, located in a loop of the Marne just before it joined the Seine, became an important pilgrimage site when the relics of Saint Maurus were found to be effective in curing those who suffered from gout and epilepsy. Due to this sudden popularity and, in recognition of it, the name of the Abbey was changed to, Saint-Maur-des-Fosses, or St Maurus of the Moats. In the drought year of 1137, all of Western Europe was without rain. The Monks of the Abbey led a procession of the relics of St. Maurus and, at the conclusion of Mass, there was a violent thunderstorm which brought rain to the region.
As should not be surprising, the Abbey was seized during the French Revolution by the enthusiastic proponents of liberty, equality, and brotherhood. Anything of value was looted and the property then sold to speculators. After they were stripped of everything of value, the buildings that remained were demolished and the material used in other building projects, so that today nothing remains but a few vestiges that were collected for display in a museum.
Fortunately, the Statue of Our Lady of Miracles miraculously survived. The Statue had been venerated since 1328 because of the miraculous circumstances of its creation and was saved by a locksmith named Hazar. It is now kept at the Church of Saint Nicholas (see below) in Saint Maur-des-Fosses.

The Church of St Nicholas

__
St Almut of Wetter
St Alphege the Bald
Bl Angela Salawa
St BasilissS of Asia
Bl Beatrix of Engelport
St Bernard of Carinola
Bl Claudius the Minor
St Egdunus
St Fechno
St Girolamo da Recanati
Blessed Giustina Francucci Bezzoli (c 1257-1319)
Biography:

https://anastpaul.com/2020/03/12/saint-of-the-day-12-march-blessed-giustina-francucci-bezzoli-c-1257-1319/
St Heiu of Hartlepool
St Indrecht of Iona
St Pope Innocent I
St Joseph Zhang Dapeng
St Luigi Orione FDP (1872-1940)
About St Luigi:

https://anastpaul.com/2019/03/12/saint-of-the-day-12-march-st-luigi-orione-fdp-1872-1940/

St Maximilian of Thebeste
St Mura McFeredach
St Paul Aurelian
St Peter the Deacon
St Seraphina (1238-1253) Virgin
St Theophanes the Chronographer

Martyrs of Nicomedia – 8 saints: Eleven Christians who were martyred in succession in a single incident during the persecutions of Diocletian. First there were the eight imprisoned Christians, Domna, Esmaragdus, Eugene, Hilary, Mardonius, Maximus, Mígdonus and Peter, about whom we know little more than their names. Each day for eight days one of them would be strangled to death in view of the others so that they would spend the night in dread, not knowing if they were next.
Peter was the chamberlain or butler in the palace of Diocletian. When he was overheard complaining about this cruelty, he was exposed as a Christian, arrested, tortured and executed by having the flesh torn from his bones, salt and vinegar poured on the wounds and then being roasted to death over a slow fire.
Gorgonio was an army officer and member of the staff in the house of emperor Diocletian, Doroteo was a staff clerk. They were each exposed as Christians when they were overhead objecting to the torture and murder of Peter. This led to their own arrest, torture and executions.
Died in 303 in Nicomedia, Bithynia (in modern Turkey)
Additional Memorial – 28 December as part of the 20,000 Martyrs of Nicomedia.

Posted in MYSTICS, SAINT of the DAY

Saint of the Day – 12 March – Blessed Giustina Francucci Bezzoli (c 1257-1319)

Saint of the Day – 12 March – Blessed Giustina Francucci Bezzoli (c 1257-1319) Virgin of the Order of St Benedict, Hermitess and Anchoress, Mystic – born in c 1257 in Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy and died on 12 March 1319 in Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy of natural causes while praying.   A white lily grew out of the stone of her tomb.   Her body is incorrupt.   Patronages – eye and sight diseases and problems, demonics.bl giustina_francucci_bezzoli_45_01

In Florence, in the Benedictine monastery of St Maria del Fiore in Lapo, the incorrupt body of Blessed Giustina Bezzoli Francucci is kept and venerated, moved here from the Monastery of the Holy Spirit of Arezzo in 1968, when the two cloistered communities met.   The large church of the monastery, in the centre of the village north of Florence, on Via Faentina, has also been a parish since 1938 and so, in admirable harmony, the two communities live and pray side by side, enriching each other with different gifts of the Spirit.   The nuns’ choir is the extension of the church and in the centre there is the tabernacle.   The community was founded by the wealthy Lapo da Fiesole who in 1350 hosted the first nuns here.   On 13 October of that year, Bishop S. Andrea Corsini consecrated the monastery with the rule of St Augustine and with the title of St Maria del Fiore which is older here than the Florentine cathedral  . The Augustinians remained until 1808, when they had to leave because of the laws for the suppression of religious orders, the Benedictines took over in 1817.   The tomb with the body of the Blessed is placed in a wall that unites the two communities and is visible from both sides – her face looks towards the cloister and seems to invite the lay faithful to dedicate time to prayer.

Blessed Giustina was a descendant of a very noble family, the Bezzoli Francucci and was born in Arezzo between 1257 and 1260.   With a lovable and humble character, she quickly gained a certain maturity.   In the rich paternal home, between ease and comfort, she assimilated with daily prayer, the most genuine religious sentiments.  She often deprived herself of food and loved to retire to her room to pray, thus the decision to consecrate herself to God matured at a very young age.   Her parents refused her permission and denied her any argument.   A single, beloved daughter, heir of conspicuous wealth, she had a very enviable future ahead of her – marriage to a man worthy of her family.   We know, however, that the ways of the Lord are not the ways of men – she first convinced her father with many tears and pleadings, then it was the turn of her paternal uncle, who was also determined not to deprive himself of his only
niece.   A serious illness of the father made everyone reflect on the transience of things and Giustina obtained the desired approval.   She was only twelve years old and this decision is incomprehensible to us but, at that time, important choices were sometimes made at that age.

Giustina was welcomed into the monastery of St Marco (which no longer exists today), bringing only an image of the Crucifix with her.   A dove landed on her head upon entry, an eloquent sign that the Holy Spirit was already assisting the humble daughter of the Holy Father Benedict.  She left everything to devote herself to meditating on the Word of God – the rough habit took the place of opulent silks and satin clothes.    Giustina was an exemplary novice, in the simplest tasks she responded with obedience to the needs of the community.   Giustina stayed in the monastery for about four years, until she was forced to leave with her sisters because of the wars that devastated the city.   With her Crucifix she moved to the Monastery of All Saints but even here the stay was not long.

One day she heard that in a cave, at the Castle of Civitella, a virgin named Lucia voluntarily lived.   To join this Lucis, it to share the most austere practice of Christian virtues became her greatest desire.   With the permission of Bishop Guglielmo Umbertini she moved to the hermitage where Lucia, very happily, welcomed her.   In extreme poverty they received a visit from Giustina’s father who, we can imagine with how much anguish, he tried in vain to bring her home.

The coexistence of the two anchorites lasted only a few years, until Lucia became seriously ill and the young companion assisted her with love until the moment of her death.   Left alone, Giustina continued to live devoted only to prayer and penance, visibly comforted by the Celestial Bridegroom who, through an angel, defended her several times from the attacks of wolves.   Such and many deprivations could not fail to undermine her health and at only thirty-five she began to have serious vision problems. She was forced to return to the monastery amidst the jubilation of the sisters who
now saw in her a heavenly soul.   However, the monastery was subject to soldiers’ raids
and the bishop Ildebrando Guidi had to transfer it to a safe place.   It was the year 1315 and Giustina changed residence again.

The Blessed had a singular devotion to the Passion of Christ and, although sick, she practised many mortifications.   She spent the last twenty years of her life, completely blind, falling into ecstasy several times, even in the presence of her sisters.   She lived in conditions of great misery but always confident in Providence and those who asked for a word of comfort did not fail to help them as much as she could.   She died praying, surrounded by her companions, on 12 March 1319.   On her body were evident, the sores caused by an iron chain, that for years had encased her fragile body.

The graces obtained through her intercession were immediately numerous.   A white lily grew spontaneously on her grave and with this attribute, Giotto painted it for the Florentine Church of Mercy.   The body, ten years after her death, was surprisingly flexible and the Bishop of Arezzo, Buono degli Uberti, confirmed the spontaneous cult that had been born in the people.   Two centuries later her body was enclosed in an iron chest until 1709, when it it was again exhumed and confirmed to be incorrupt.   An ancient war flag was found in the coffin left by a captain as an ex voto around 1384. Some fragments of the banner were distributed to the faithful as relics.
Blessed Giustina is invoked especially for eye and sight problems but some demoniacs have also been exorcised in front of her Shrine.

Blessed Giustina was Beatified on 14 January 1891 by Pope Leo XIII (cultus confirmation).

bl giustina bezzoli